I wanted to ask some of you coaches your pre-game routines, the 10 - 15 minutes you get before the game to warm the guys up. How much contact do you do? What drills do former O-Linemen like to get them ready to play?
hey jim, we get about 8-10 min of warm-up time before we go team offense. we go 3 groups 1st string , 2nd string, then 3rds.
1. waddle walk (pumping arms over exaggerating wide base and weight over heels)
2. (3/4 speed) zone blocks right and left
3. commanded pass sets - post -kick-ext. on air
take about 2min a period keep it fast paced high energy
4. pass protections on air-( 1/2man 1/2slide ) or( slide ) whatever your protection is.
5. top 3 run plays vs. front your playing against full speed
We tend to do a 10-15 warmup and stretch then split into o and d to do some run throughs. At about this point I try to take all line men (both o and d ) and get them doing sim,ple drive blocking/bull rushing with both sides going full tilt. I found this works well as it gets the guys past that first shaky couple of hits ( I know the first time i get hit in game or training is always a little shock to the system)
Plus it gets the adrenaline really pumping for that first series.
Take note with my opinions, almost everything I do with linemen Is full contact
We have a group stretching and choreography when we get on the field. When that is over with i usually have about 8-10 minutes max. I have them:
- Duck demeanor (McNally) on 10 yds
- Stagger squats on 10 yds
- Mirror drill on the goal line
- Drive block , down block, reach block on buddy (1 rep each just to get the feel)
- Send my centers with QB for WR's warm-up routine.
- Then run my 2-3 principle run plays
- Finish with a goal line score.
After team warmups I take the o line and I go through 10 min worth of o line drills:
1. Two step zone progression left and right 2-3 reps each side Last rep fire out to the 10yrd.
2. Pass Blocking one on one tackles working on a good kick step to get to a good position to catch the rush of the D-end, we really try to cover inside out checking for the blitzing inside backer!!!
3. One on one run blocking, this is full contact to get the jitters out, I two believe in alot of contact in my drills two get the blood pumping!!
4. We work are 4 best run plays with the fronts we might see in the game.